The MPMA's Government Relations Committee is responsible for:
- Monitoring legislative activities that impact members
- Notifying members through legislative updates in the e-newsletter and via email
Members of this committee are involved with the Manufacturing Coalition, the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce, the National Tooling and Machining Association/Precision Metalforming Association (NTMA/PMA) “One Voice” initiative, and other grassroots lobbying opportunities.
MPMA members are encouraged to get involved in issue that are important to their businesses and the manufacturing industry as a whole.
MPMA's 2018 Legislative Updates
During the 2018 Legislative Session, periodic updates on MPMA's Legislative Agenda will be provided on the website. Please click the dates below to be directed to the latest updates:
MPMA's 2018 Legislative Priorities
Strengthen Minnesota’s Manufacturing Economy
Following the tax reforms last December in Washington, D.C., Minnesota now has the opportunity to reform our state tax laws to maximize economic growth for Minnesota manufacturers.
The Minnesota Precision Manufacturing Association supports the following reforms to strengthen Minnesota’s economy:
- Reduction of income taxes for companies paying the top rate of taxes through the individual income tax “pass-through” system (i.e. S Corps, sole proprietorships, LLCs, and partnerships).
- Expansion of Research and Development tax credits to encourage innovation and investment in Minnesota businesses.
- Update Section 179 expensing to confirm with Federal tax law to create greater opportunities for property and equipment investments.
- Enact Uniform State Labor Standards legislation to support statewide uniformity in labor laws and minimum wage laws.
Strengthen Minnesota’s Skilled Workforce
Skilled workers are the backbone of the manufacturing industry. However, demographic shifts and low unemployment are contributing factors to a workforce supply shortage that is limiting manufacturers’ ability to keep up with current production demand and take advantage of new opportunities.
The Minnesota Precision Manufacturing Association supports the following reforms to strengthen Minnesota’s skilled manufacturing workforce:
- Build on the success of the new Youth Skills Training Program and expand grant capacity so more schools and business can create local partnerships to train high school students for manufacturing careers.
- Allow high schools greater access to manufacturing training equipment through public-private match programs.
- Expand dual-credit and industry-recognized credentials options for technical students.
- Align state workforce development funding to evidence-based, industry-developed strategies to close the skills gap and maximize workforce potential.
How to Reach Your Elected Representatives
- Find out who represents you and/or your company. Type your home or business address here. Visit your representatives’ web page to view their phone and email address to contact them directly and sign up for their email updates.
- Ask your legislator when he or she plans to hold a Town Hall meeting near you. Plan to attend to meet him or her in person.
- Subscribe to and respond to action alerts from the Minnesota Chamber, MPMA, One Voice (collaborative effort of NTMA and PMA), and other advocacy groups working on your behalf.
- Do your homework; view voting records for members of the Minnesota Legislature here and members of Congress here.
- Reach out to your legislators directly by phone or email to inform them how a certain piece of legislation would help or hurt your business.
- Write a letter to the editor supporting or opposing a particular issue and share it with your legislators.
- Offer to host one or more of your legislators on a tour of your shop.
> Click here for the printed handout.